You want a new look for your kitchen, but you can’t decide what to change. Whatever you decide, make sure it’s timeless. Marble counters, updated appliances or a new back-splash are great additions to any home regardless of decade or trends. The important thing here is avoid giving in to fads! These fads might not be long-lasting, and they can leave your kitchen looking tacky and, even worse, make it lose value. With that in mind, here are some kitchen remodeling ideas that you should avoid:
- Appliance GaragesPopular in the 80’s and 90’s, appliance garages are a great way to hide those bulky appliances like blenders and toasters without having to use cabinet space on them. Unfortunately, these garages eat up a ton of counter space, and it is just popular nowadays to keep your often-used appliances on the counter for everyone to see. Avoid this one.
- Kitchen NichesOnce common for home phone lines, kitchen niches are now a thing of the past in our modern digital age and a sure sign that you have an old home. Find another area in your home for a desk, or put desk supplies in a drawer instead.
- Farmhouse SinksWhile farmhouse sinks are popular now, these wide monstrosities take up a lot of room and don’t compare to the durability of stainless steel. This is one fad you should stay away from.
- Trash CompactorsA trash compactor has its benefits, but also far too many costs. It can break, it can smell and it just isn’t worth it in this day and age.
- Pot Racks & Range HoodsAlthough these popular accessories can be used as a focal point of the kitchen, in general pot racks and range hoods detract from the feel of an open kitchen.
- Colored AppliancesYou can never go wrong with stainless steel – it’s timeless, durable and fits any scheme. Colored appliances just have no use in a modern kitchen.